You've been involved in formulating a process for the introduction of
projects, I'd imagine you have views on the removal of projects.  Which you
do (below).

> Secondly, I'm not one who favors "closing" an open source
> project.  Ever.  I didn't really agree with closing
> java.apache.org.  Although I do agree with closing that
> domain, in retrospect, I'd have moved the content to Jakarta.
> In my view, dormant projects should have their scm resources
> left in place, and can have their mailing addresses reflected
> to a communal list, such as [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or
> community@, although I a separate address might be better).
>
> It isn't as if a dormant project rots and deteriorates.  It
> isn't costing anything unless there is activity.  If there
> are users who want to be active, eventually people are going
> to have to step up and become stewards.
> If a dormant project is revived by a new group, great.  If
> not, it just sits fallow.  "Burying" a project makes it far
> less likely that users will be able to organize around it.  I
> would certainly indicate that a project is currently dormant,
> if only to let potential users know that there isn't the kind
> of active community that they should expect from an ASF project.

I think that dormancy is a problem which is fixed by discussions like the
one we are currently having.  If no one had stood up and taken at least
minimal responsibility for updating some sort of status, I'm not sure it
would have been a good idea to just let Watchdog flounder indefinitely.
This doesn't happen very frequently, but when it does, I think it is
valuable to have the opportunity to gain consensus to formally mark
something as being currently inactive.