Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 11:11, Brett Porter wrote:

is not ASF License compliant?

If yes, than I would really hate to have to point you at

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven-plugins/hibernate/src/main/org/apache/maven/hibernate/beans/SchemaExportBean.java?annotate=1.7

This would compromise all Maven releases that include the
maven-hibernate-plugin. We distribute Binary and Source from apache.org
sites...

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been meaning to respond to this thread with that in mind. I think we've checked this in the past and because the ASF is not distributing the hibernate code, there wasn't a problem (as you say, hibernate is downloaded from ibiblio when the user chooses to use the hibernate plugin).

So what would the answer of the first question of Oliver ("can I use
Hibernate in an ASF project") now be?

If I got it right; Oliver wants to implement a Slide Store that uses
Hibernate as back-end. According to your answer, he could do this as
part of the official Slide distribution, as long as it does not contain
the hibernate.jar itself (which could be downloaded as part of the build
process (maven or ant)).

The problem, AFAIU, is that this Maven's code now has to become LGPL licensed itself, due to LGPL license requirements. And ASF repositories can't contain LGPL code. So the answer is to pull (quickly) this code from Maven, and not to introduce to Slide.

I agree, that we need a clarification (best would be a legal council
backed clarification).

Having to move every bit of maven code that references LGPL off-ASF
would hit quite a few plugins. :-(

Somebody could setup mavendev.org (see cocoondev.org) to host (L)GPL pieces.

PS Copying PMC because action is required

Vadim