I'm late to this discussion, so pardon if I'm rehashing something said earlier.

It would be very advantageous to consider how the ASF Repository factors into the the download picture. I've been hoping to see some integration between the contents of dist and those of dist/java-repository. The ability of the repository download requests to be sent to the mirrors using closer.cgi or something similar would be very powerful.

This url structure would be something that helped.

http://jakarta.apache.org/download.cgi/commons/lang-1.4.zip

Pointing Maven at the asf repository as:

http://www.apache.org/download.cgi/repository

http://www.apache.org/download.cgi/repository/commons-lang/jars/commons-lang-1.4.jar

would begin to use the mirrors more appropriately (if the maven client handles redirects appropriately.

better yet, how about a separate virtual host just for downloads that is an implementation of the ASF Repository.

http://download.apache.org/jakarta/commons/lang/jars/commons-lang-1.4.jar
http://download.apache.org/struts/distributions/struts-x.x.zip
http://download.apache.org/xml/xerces/jars/xerces-x.x.jar
http://download.apache.org/xml/xerces/distributions/xerces-x.x.zip

the download.cgi could handle all requests to the virtual host and properly redirect the user to a mirror.

-mark