i'd say now that provided you go for an up-to-date distribution, you shouldn't notice much difference between most distro's when it comes to java (so you probably want to choose on some other basis).

the biggest choice is how you install your java: the traditional way (stuff everything somewhere odd in /opt or /var outside the standard linux directory structure) or use a packaging system such as http://www.jpackage.org/ (which is now pretty good).

i've used mandrake as a secondary java development environment for a number of years and have no complaints. i've done some work on a fedora box recently and been very impressed (i used to hate red hat). debian is very good for servers but less so for java development using a GUI. it has a well deserved reputation for being tough for newbies but is very powerful. (i installed my last server with debian and haven't had a single regret.)

- robert