Opt for one with support for NPTL - RH 9 was the first mainstream distro
to have it available, but I think most of then supports it now:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/JavaTechandLinux/RedHat/

Another aspect that I think it's very important is good fonts - that's
the main reason I prefer Eclipse over Swing-based IDEs...

-- Felipe