Hi Craig!
but just wanted to note that the
integration between JSF and Commons Validator in Shale is usable even
if you don't buy in to the rest of the Shale architecture

Yes, I know - I already use it that way (or better, I started to use it ;-).

However, even if shale-core is small, if we go the "Web Components" direction I think even the shale-core (if it were integrated into "web components") needs to be broken into more pieces.
And yes, I would prefer it.

I think this is an important point. Even a project like (the great) Shale might be too big to be a "web component".

This stuff can be reflected on the homepage by multiple projects where we have a set of committers like we have now, but this project has to release "web components". Even if this project always releases all its "web components" at once (and thus all their jar files do have the same version number) it is possible for the user to pick its "web component". The project is free to also provide a "web component bundle".

This should avoid somethink like we see often with commons-collections which has been grown in a way where other projects decide to copy the one Collection class needet out of it and drop the rest. On every new release this has to be done again.

---
Mario