On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Martin Cooper wrote:

On 3/5/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I really shouldn't be sending multiple emails at the same time - you'll
all jsut end up replying to one of them. However, itching while the itch
is present.

Alexandria is dead. We need to represent it as so on the site.

Why? You're trying to save one mouse click? It's clear as day that it's dead
as soon as you click on the link.

ECS, ORO, Regexp are inactive development-wise - represent - site.
Slide, POI, Turbine, JCS seem pretty inactive - should we represent such?

Why do we need to do this on the front page? Each site can say whatever it
needs to, since, as you indicated in a subsequent message, there are many
different "flavours of done-ness". I think about the only person that needs
such a summary on one page is you, Hen. ;-) And it's just one more thing to
maintain that means updating the Jakarta site instead of the subproject
site, which is backwards to me.

I'm suggesting:

Active Subprojects

    * Alexandria
    * BCEL
    * BSF
    * Commons
    * HiveMind
    * JMeter
    * Tapestry
    * Velocity

Inactive Subprojects

    * Cactus
    * ECS
    * JCS
    * ORO
    * POI
    * Regexp
    * Slide
    * Taglibs
    * Turbine

Though it's also obvious that I want all of the Commons components, Turbine components, Velocity components, Taglibs components and any other hidden away sub-sub-projects to be at the same level. Alexandria itself would just go into a trash-can - same place JServ went.

--

All (90%?) of the navel gazing comes down to one binary question. Should Jakarta be a community, or a community of communities. Are we Jakarta committers, or ORO committers.

I'm not tied to any of the things I'm suggesting - except the strong belief that Jakarta as a community of communities cannot work. So I'm definitely in favour of more shared site and less individual site - I'm in favour of a flat Jakarta, both in terms of SVN acces and not allowing subprojects of subprojects (ie: Jakarta Velocity-DVSL, not Jakarta Velocity DVSL); I'm in favour of sharing the decisions - rather than having a slice of the PMC informing the main PMC of their decision.

Agreed - most/all of this will seem backwards if someone takes the view of community of communities as opposed to single community.

Hen