Martin Cooper wrote:
<snip/>
I think this whole thing is putting the cart before the horse. You're in the
process of destroying Commons, not just dismantling it, and for no good
reason that I can see. The people involved with Digester should be the ones
to initiate a discussion about whether or not they want to take Digester
elsewhere. As it is, this is coming across more like "why don't you guys go
away, somewhere far away, 'cos we think that's a good idea".

Stephen's proposal for Jakarta Language Components came from "inside" that
grouping. So should any other proposals for groupings or departures.

With respect to departures in particular, there is a serious potential for
losing community. For example, I keep tabs on a bunch of different Commons
components, primarily because all of the discussions happen on communal
lists. If Digester and DbUtils, for example, go to some other community
where they also share lists, I am very unlikely to sign up for those lists
just to keep tabs on those components. Maybe the developers will move, but
how much of the community will go with them?
I agree strongly with the points above. I am +1 for jlc but -1 for "engineered dissolution" of j-c. The key point is that movement needs to be driven by people who want to move. Consider these two specific examples: [naming] - we decided on "ontological" grounds to move this to Directory some time ago. We were never able to build a community around it there, the Directory community had no interest in it, and it has gone nowhere. Of course, it may have gone nowhere in j-c as well, and its stalling could all just be lack of vision / ability to get tomcat to go along, but I can't help thinking that it would have done better off staying in j-c. [dbcp] - suppose some grand scheme had already moved it to DB. Would volunteers there now be stepping up to maintain it now? If the move to DB was initiated by community members who really wanted to drive it, then the answer would likely be yes. That is the key point. There have been *many* examples over the years of j-c community members stepping up to contribute to components that they were not involved in when they started at the commons. There is also tremendous value in the collective oversight, both technical and community / legal, that happens in j-c. We should think very carefully before dissolving that community.
Phil

Phil