Ok so I'm a liar...I did want to point out that from my experience
even the most formal voting process won't get the desired results -
that everyone on the project certifies and checks that the binaries
going out are good. More than likely 90% of the time everyone just
votes yes or no and trusts that the person managing the release knows
what they are doing. .....but these are small points. Still, they do
point to the voting process being meaningless other than all of the
PMC's putting their names on it if it should go poorly. (though in a
true team sort of mindset you'd think that this would always be the
case with / without votes / other processes...)

Automation is good. Esp. if it lets us opt to always trust committer X
managing a release once and let a diligent little script do everything
else for else without any intervention. That would be great and would
bring me back to where I already was.  ;)