On 3/19/07, Vadim Gritsenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Martin Cooper wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Vadim Gritsenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Martin Cooper wrote:
>> > Those sites provide infrastructure, but absolutely no legal
protection.

>> Who says there is no way to combine legal protection and non-absurd
>> procedures?
>
> Not me. We don't have absurd procedures, so we're already there.

I consider tag before vote as absurd.

Yeah, well I consider voting on something that doesn't exist yet to be
absurd. So there we are.

By the way, if you really want to change any of this, burying the discussion
in a vote thread on this list isn't the best way to go about it.

--
Martin Cooper

For example: community votes for a release, RM tags a release (and
prepares
>> files), pmc rubber-stamps it with 'ACK' within 72 hours (a-la PMC
>> composition change process), done.
>
> PMCs are not about rubber-stamping anything. They are about project
> oversight and responsibility.

Oversight and responsibility is happening before you tag. They are part of
day
to day work. Mechanical checks for NOTICE and LICENSE files preceding
approval
for distribution stamp happen after.

>> And the big one. The main goal ASF exists for is fostering software
>> development
>> communities. With second goal being software released in the process.
And
>> the legal part here is an *evil necessity*, it is *not* a goal.
>
> Interesting perspective.

Thanks.

Vadim