On 5/13/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't see why. As a member of the Jakarta PMC I'm willing to allow
> jakarta-commons.apache.org to use our trademark :-)

The problem is that you will be hijacking the Jakarta name and since the future
of Jakarta
(and usage of the name) is by no way set, using the Jakarta name in a new
commons
TLP is for me at this stage a premature call.

We can't "hijack" what is ours. This vote is not taking place on the
Jakarta Commons-Dev list. It is taking place on the Jakarta General
List, and, AFIAK, it represents a vote of the *Jakarta* PMC.

In the alternative, we "hijack" the Commons name, which, as others
have pointed out, is already being used by other ASF entities, not to
mention that it was also used by a top-level project, now closed.

* http://commons.apache.org/

I don't know if Henri has discussed the reuse of the Commons TLP name
with the Board, but it's possible not everyone will be thrilled with
creating a new Commons TLP with a different charter (e.g. "Java").

Creating a "Jakarta Commons PMC" avoids overlap with the "closed"
Commons TLP, and avoids overlap with any future projects that might
want to create a TLP

-Ted.