On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 10:20 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> sebb wrote:
> > I don't see it as splitting the community, rather as an adjunct to the
> > existing community.
> >
> > One of the reasons would be to allow independent release cycles.
> >
> > Also, not every user would need all the plugins.
> >
> > Perhaps this could be done by rearranging the JMeter project, but it
> > seems cleaner to have a separate repository - as is done with Maven.
>
> HttpComponents is also managing currently two components on
> separate release cycles. However, that comes with a certain
> overhead. At the current frequency of our releases, I can
> fully understand Oleg's reluctance against putting more modules
> on separate release cycles.
> If the idea is to have each extra JMeter plugin on a separate
> release cycle, you're probably better off without the Apache
> overhead. I assume Codehouse does not require three PMC votes
> for a release? If the extra JMeter plugins are meant to share
> on release cycle, and there are no licensing issues, I believe
> it can be handled at Apache.

The MyFaces project has a number of custom maven plugins it uses to
build itself. These live in the same project, just like the maven
projects that make up the myfaces core.

They are released on their own lifecycle and this seems to be working
fine.

If the plugins are closely coupled with jmeter then it seems sensible to
me to just manage them as part of the jmeter project.

Regards, Simon