On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:49:08 +0300 Leon Anavi <leon.an...@konsulko.com> said:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On 16.06.2015 12:24, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:44:31 +0300 Leon Anavi <leon.an...@konsulko.com>
> > said:
> >
> >> Hi Carsten,

> >> +1
> >>
> >> I share the same personal opinion. Couple of years ago at TDC there was
> >> a demo of something similar: Tizen with GNOME 3 running on a laptop with
> >> Intel CPU: https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Tizen_PC
> >>
> >> May be our community needs to revive the Tizen PC project.
> > or just make tizen common "generally useful". i would push against a tizen
> > pc profile and leave that to "one day is someone wants to do actual pc-like
> > products".
> >
> > instead make tizen common as much of a superset of profiles as possible.
> > when used as a "desktop" (chromebook/netbook/laptop too), then it functions
> > as one with that ui, but could switch to another ui style at any point
> > (runtime? perhaps even decide on a screen by screen basis what mode/style
> > is runs, eg have a touchscreen on the device that is in mobile mode and
> > externally plugged in monitors run in "desktop" mode and if you plug in a
> > bug 40"+ tv it goes into tv mode on those screens).
> >
> > this way tizen common doesn't have issues having to "conform" to some
> > profile and standard. we can modify it as needed to achieve general
> > usefulness. use it as a place to perhaps fix up ideas or merge things from
> > multiple profiles that duplicate effort.
> >
> I think that "Tizen on Yocto" can help to achieve something like this.
> Different Tizen profiles bring a set of additional packages which can be
> organized as separate Yocto layers. After that the developer/user can
> easily change the configurations to enable or disable layers and
> packages through local.conf and bblayers.conf before building the image.

well this also is nothing much more than packages, metapackages and their
dependencies. it's the same basic principles. the key is in doing the actual
work to have all these packages exist, the metapackages created (layers
whatever) and to merge duplication as much as possible.

> Furthermore, as we discussed on another thread, keeping a package feed
> on a remote server allows users to configure smart (the package manager
> in Tizen on Yocto) and to manage packages during runtime:
> https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Runtime_package_management_in_Tizen_on_Yocto_with_Smart

agreed.

--
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ti...@rasterman.com>