Dan,

Let me give you something solid to chew on...How about porting this
test that we wrote for JAXME schema parser[1]. Original test for
XmlSchema is here [2]  It uses the Xml Schema test suite [3]. You will
need to basically enhance the test to both read the schema and write
the schema and using XMLUnit to compare the input and output is is
done in Test.java in [2]

thanks,
dims

[1] - http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=107003263905538&w=2