On 12.12.2007 22:35:15 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Most of you may know that I'm working on a new image loading package for
> > FOP.
> [snip]
>
> Good work BTW. I'm quite impressed.

Thanks.

> > A month ago, I told Tonny Kohar of Kiyut about the new package, after
> > I've seen their Ekspos Image Viewer [3]. He showed quite some interest
> > and now asked me if I could provide the package as a separate library
> > (i.e. without FOP balast). I've already decoupled the package from FOP
> > as far as possible. Only some nits are left.
>
> I'm all for re-use of code solving common problems. Moving the image
> certainly a good idea. I hope the font related code can be shared
> with Batik also.
>
> As a side note: digging around sf.net and various other code
> repositories turned up more than one hundred (!!!) attempts
> at an image loading and processing library in Java. Most of
> them are abandoned, but there are some thriving projects. I haven't
> evaluated them in detail, but it might be worth doing this, and
> possibly seek cooperation.

Can you give some of the more promising links? I have taken a look
myself and haven't found anything closely resembling what we have now.
Most only seem to support bitmap formats. The key is handling both
vector and bitmap formats, though, plus undecoded images like JPEG and
CCITT streams.

Jeremias Maerki