Kyle Liddell wrote:
> What kernel/video card/nvidia driver version/motherboard/etc are you
> using?

I do use the following Software:
*media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r4  (i think i tried other versions too)
*sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r11

Following my Hardware:
*A64 2800
*MSI K8N Neo (nForce 3 250Gb)
*MSI FX5900-ZT
*Zalman 400W PSU
Both video card and CPU have a Zalman AlCu on Top.

  Anything special in your X config file?

Not as far as I can see, but i included the file nonetheless.

  Do you have sideband
> addressing or fastwrites enabled?

Well, i'm a bit ashamed to say, but i dont know where to get that info :|

If it happens while emerging, prehaps
> your CPU is getting hot enough that your video card gets too much heat
> going on and locks up?

That should not be the problem, since my hardware is well cooled afaik.
In fact i have a second Gentoo installation on this machine (but only a
32 Bit one), wich doesn't show any problems while emerging, even if i
play D2 simutanously.

Does it only happen with TwinView, or with a
> single monitor with the nvidia driver?

I will try that out later, no time to do so until now.

Do you have a power hungry video
> card and a small power supply?

I dont think so, see my hardware list above.

> I'm using the nvidia driver with my geforce 6800gt and I've had no
> problems at all.  I haven't used TwinView since I got back home from
> school (no desk space for an extra monitor) but it worked fine for me.
> The only time I have any problems is when I enable the "EXPERIMENTAL!
> USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!" XRender hardware acceleration.

Where would that option be, just so i can check? (Though i do not think
i would have activated some option like that *g*)

Thanks for your help!

- --

Marcel Treis
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# **********************************************************************
# ServerLayout sections.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Dual-Head nVIDIA"
        Screen          0       "Screen0"       0 0
        InputDevice     "Mouse"         "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Keyboard"      "CoreKeyboard"
#       Option          "BlankTime"     "10"
#       Option          "SuspendTime"   "13"
#       Option          "OffTime"       "15"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
        RgbPath         "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
        ModulePath      "/usr/lib/modules"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this is an optional section which is used to specify
# which run-time loadable modules to load when the X server starts up.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Module"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "xtrap"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "freetype"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.  This contains various server-wide Options.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"
#       Option          "off time"      "5"
#       Option          "Xinerama"      "on"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Protocol"      "Auto"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Buttons"       "6"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "5 6"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor0"
        VendorName      "PHILIPS"
        ModelName       "170S"
        HorizSync 64.0
        VertRefresh 60.0
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        VendorName      "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName       "Unknown Board"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "CRT2Position"  "RightOf"
        Option          "TwinView"
        Option          "MetaModes"  "1280x1024,1280x1024"
        Option          "TwinViewOrientation"      "RightOf"
#       Option          "SecondMonitorHorizSync"   "64.0"
        Option          "SecondMonitorHorizSync"   "UseEdidFreqs"
#       Option          "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60.0"
        Option          "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "UseEdidFreqs"
        Option          "RenderAccel"           #neu
        Option          "HWcursor"              #neu
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Card0"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Virtual         2560 1024
                Modes           "640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024"
                ViewPort        0 0
                Depth           24
        EndSubSection
        DefaultDepth    24