First of all: thanks to all the people who took the
time to answer. Very useful information there.
You Rock!

Simon Stelling wrote:

Hi,

Michael Ulm wrote:

Our family computer has many different tasks to perform
and consequently has many packages emerged. Several of
these packages were not available for amd64 stable, so I
got the ~amd64 versions. This of course led to the need
to also pull in ~amd64 dependencies. And those dependencies
grow.

What packages exactly are you talking about? I'm running a pretty stable system
here and don't have a big package.keywords list (well, beside GNOME 2.12,
modular X and the e17 cvs builds ;)).

Just as hint: Use version-specific atoms. This will ensure that you don't always
get the unstable version but only the version you really want. By keeping the
version low, it will also significantly reduce the dependencies you have to
keyword, in most cases.

This is something I surely will do in the future.

1) spending several hours checking out the ~amd64 packages I
  emerged, to see if they are available in stable, and which
  dependencies can then be brought back to amd64. As spare
  time is a rather scarce resource for me, I don't want to do
  this unless absolutely necessary

This would of course be the cleanest solution. Move your package.keywords file
somewhere else and run emerge -uDp world, then check if it would downgrade to a
version which didn't work for you. I guess that most of these 50 entries you
have wouldn't actually cause a downgrade to happen so it should reduce the
effort pretty much.

2) Go totally ~amd64. I am slightly worried about system
  stability in this scenario. Every time the system hiccups
  my wife tells me that this never happened in Windows...

Although many people run ~amd64 without having any issues, I wouldn't suggest
this if you don't like to fix problems and/or spend much time on administrating.

Actually, I usually enjoy to fix problems, it's just that
I can have some very busy months, where everey minute of
spent administrating gets directly deducted from my sleep.

3) Do nothing and hope for the best.

Never change a winning horse. You could just stop doing emerge -uD world at all
and only update packages if you know higher versions have new features you need
or fixes a bug you hit. Instead of updating all packages, only run `glsa-check
-f new` regularly to make sure your system doesn't get vulnerable. This is the
way I do it on all my critical systems, and it works. The time I need to
administrating is really minimal, about 10 min/mt. for a server and a
workstation. I'd say this is even less than with windows ;)
--snip--

My wife can get pretty sarcastic, but still I wouldn't consider
our home computer a critical machine. However, your advice has
made clear to me, that I did the  emerge -uD  too often (I tried
to fit it in every week-end). In the future, when there is little
time, I will just do the glsa-check.

My workload now slowly decreases again, so I hope that I can
soon find the time for either a cleanup or the transition to a
pure ~amd64.

"I shall do such things, I know not what they are"
(King Lear)

Thanks again,

Michael

--