On 9/23/06, Peter Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Saturday 23 September 2006 10:03, Mark Knecht wrote:

> So you did essentially the
>
> emerge -e system
> emerge -e system
> emerge -e world
>
> steps that you did when upgrading gcc to get there?

Er, the GCC upgrade guide [1] only mentions a single emerge -e system to go
from 3.4.4 to 4.1.1, and that's what I'm doing just now. I hope I don't
need the second step.

1.      http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

--
Rgds
Peter

Peter,
  I take it back. I was thinking of something else. Here is the set
of instructions I asked about on this list and was told were correct:

# emerge -uav gcc
# gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1
# source /etc/profile
# fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.6
# emerge --oneshot -av libtool
# emerge -eav system
# emerge -eav world

I actually asked whether the emerge -eav world was necessary or
whether the system was usable after the emerge system was complete.
Boyd said that some folks had had problems so I did the emerge -eav
world and didn't use the system until it was complete.

NOTE: emerge --resume --skipfirst was my friend as a number of
packages didn't build the first time. I picked them up later.

Sorry for the confusion. I shouldn't work from memory! ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,
Mark