Hello, everyone!

It's my first mail to this list. I hope the community here is as
friendly as the one at the general "gentoo-user" list ;-)
Please, forgive me if open some threads about already discussed issues
until I catch up with rhythm of the list.

So let me start a with 2 newbie questions caused by my first impressions
from the x86_64 world:

1) I use CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -mfpmath=sse -msse -msse2 -msse3
-m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fpic". Portage complains
with *red letters* about the fpic flag. Every time I emerge something it
says that "fpic breaks things", but I haven't met a single breakage so
far. Is that a bug? Actually there was an ebuild which could not be
compiled if mysql was compiled w/o "fpic". I'm not 100% sure but AFAIR
it was dev-perl/DBD-mysql.

2) I see too many flags that are disabled by the profile - the kind with
the parenthesis around them, like "(-3dnow)". Why? As I mentioned above
I enable some of these through my CFLAGS - e.g. (-mmx), (-mmxext),
(-sse) and (-sse2) and everything works perfect.