Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skribis:
> > When I really want a program to start quickly, though, I use the
> > sticky bit, so the program stays in memory. I think this is the
> > default for GNU Emacs.
>
> Eh?  That's a rather dated use of that bit, AFAIK.

Thus it gets very little use. :)

In my experience programs that start up slowly often have bugs causing
it. For example, Opera slows down dramatically if you have a lot of
fonts, which I do; because of this, I run Opera under a separate
fontconfig. Programs that use Pango, such as Inkscape, can be slow to
start up if you have a lot of fonts, though they won’t slow down, once
started, as dramatically as does Opera. GIMP has its own code for
listing your fonts and starts up quickly.

--
Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org   http://chemoelectric.org
        Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj:  http://crudfactory.com (PDF)