On Sunday 01 October 2006 06:01, "Duncan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about '[gentoo-amd64]  Re: routers and mp3 players that do FLOSS  Was:
slaveryware':
> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Sat, 30
> Sep 2006 03:30:44 -0500:
> [on Linksys WRT compatible routers]
> If I go that route, I'd either get the Linux model or a compatible unit
> from someone else.  (I know they exist but don't know specifically which
> ones are and are not compatible with the WRT firmwares, at this time, so
> if I were buying now, it'd be the Linksys Linux model.)

OpenWRT's wiki had (and probably still has) a rather large, but probably
not comprehensive list of hardware that will run their distribution, along
with some specs re: flash and ram size.  Of course, any hw listed should
also be able to run smaller distributions (like DD-WRT) as well.

> I figure low end bare-bones, with a smallish <100GB hard drive
> and using an extra
> half-gig RAM stick I already have, would run ~$300-ish.
> So... anybody have any opinions on this?  Should I go straight 32-bit or
> 64-bit Gentoo?

Depends on the actual usage profile, but if, other than routing, it is
going to be idle 90% of the time the lower memory profile of 32-bit linux
should outweigh the extra registers of 64-bit linux and the extra
instructions and address space won't be used.

> > While the HD isn't upgradable, the iRiver H10 line will run Rockbox.
>
> I've been looking at the H10 line, and I /think/ some of them might
> actually be HD upgradable, now.
> Do you know for sure that the current 20 gig (or maybe 30 gig) aren't
> hard drive upgradeable?

I was at the iriveramerica site earlier this week and remember it saying
neither the HD nor the battery was replaceable.  That said, sometimes
official websites give out information the manufacturer *wants* to be
true, so rockbox or other project sites might be better information -- in
any case, the iriveramerica site, after a little bit of fighting, can do
interactively queried about the devices.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest