On this day, 02-August-2007 4:58 PM,  Pascal BERTIN wrote:
P.V.Anthony a écrit :

<snip/>
Apps.
1. Gentoo linux 64bit
2. Apache 2
3. MySql
4. Postgres
5. Qmail
6. Pure-ftpd
7. Mod_perl
8. php
9. ruby

<snip/>

aren't you forgetting the app that you will run the most :
emerge.

This one will really benefit from quad core, and during time where you
will work on the server.
So, facing such a choice, I would also consider my comfort/time, and
give quad core a +1.

Pascal

What I am really interested is, how the server will perform most of the time. Will the instance of the apps go to each core in a balanced way?

From the previous posts, I gather that the amd chip is really good.

I must say that I love the intel drivers for the network and sata. If only amd has some chip sets for their own cpus and good open source drivers for their chip sets. Intel has that covered and I think the intel drivers are open source.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

P.V.Anthony