On 8/14/07, Richard Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What exactly is filling up memory?  Try running top and sorting by
> memory use (shortcut key "M").  500MB of RAM isn't a huge amount -
> certainly plenty for ordinary use but if you have two X displays, 15
> daemons, 12 web browsers, and OpenOffice running you're going to run out
> fast.  You'll definitely run into problems if you're running emerge
> while doing other work as well, as large builds will use much of that
> 500MB of RAM and will keep that memory tied up with active use.

I agree that 512mb of ram is quite few nowadays, but should be pretty
enough for daily usage.
For daily usage I mean: Firefox, Thunderbird, few Gnome-terminal,
Pidgin, Skype, F-Spot.

The latest is one of the biggest memory-consumption app, having to
manage thousands of digital pictures, a lot of them >4m. When I run
F-Spot and do some photo editing (cuts and exports, noting
particularly advanced!), I fill up ram+swap(512). In the meantime the
disk never stops spinning.
The second memory-eating app is Firefox, maybe due to the extensions installed.

I also say it should be running fine because I tried the same F-Spot
with the same photos db on this same laptop but running Ubuntu and
it's at least twice faster!

I believe the problem must rely somewhere between the kernel and the
disk access.
I also thought it could be the cflags I used, but noone of you didn't
even mention them.

Thanks!
maxxer

ps if it can be useful I've uploaded a "ps faux" at www.maxxer.it/config/ps.gz