Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted [EMAIL PROTECTED],
excerpted below, on  Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:37:37 -0400:

> Duncan wrote:
>> Jason ...:
>>
>>> Also, when compiling X.org/mesa/drm from source, it builds the kernel
>>> modules drm.ko and i915.ko.  What package does that in gentoo?
>>
>> That's the kernel, AFAIK. [snip]
>
> Yep, that's what I'm looking to replace with the ones from the X.org
> tree.  I'd like to do it within the portage system, but 'equery files
> mesa' didn't have any *.ko's and 'equery files libdrm' didn't either...
>
> The kernel version usually lags behind primary developer's version,
> especially when there a lot of development occurring (like the intel
> driver).
>
> I also tried 'eix -S 'X\.org.*kernel'' and got nothing...  Does anyone
> have any idea if there is even a Gentoo pkg for the X.org drm/i915
> modules?

As I said I use an older and fairly stable Radeon, so the kernel versions
have been fine for me.  To my knowledge, there are no out of kernel
module packages for the Intel stuff either, however, because they are
included in the kernel and there's strong pressure for developers to sync
GPL modules with the mainline kernel and use it.  The exception I know of
is the alsa-drivers package, where the official Gentoo recommendation has
gone back and forth a few times but is now to use the mainline kernel
drivers and report a bug if the latest kernel version doesn't work but
the separate driver does.

So (again) to my knowledge, which might be incorrect as I don't have the
hardware, I believe if you want newer than in-kernel versions, you'll
need to compile them manually, *OR*...

It's possible they are in a non-official tree overlay.  Emerge layman (if
you don't have it merged already) and look around.  Try the dberkolz,
x11, and xeffects overlays to begin with, plus sunrise.  It's quite
possible someone has already created a working ebuild but it's not in the
official tree.  Also search bugzilla, of course, as it's possible there's
one there somewhere, the submitter not available to commit the continuing
resources to working with it in the overlay, or something.  You'll find
info on some of the overlays (official ones by Gentoo devs, and sunrise)
at overlays.gentoo.org.  Others not.  As for using layman, note the
significance of the -k parameter on security and etc, and act accordingly.