Hernan Lopez wrote:
Hello, I´m did install UtutoXS2007 (based on Gentoo 2007), FreeBsd, and I don´t
have this problem. Generally the USB key when exec the post the same is (sd0)
and boot, then of boot the usb key, (sd0) is the principal Hard Disk, NOT THE
USB KEY, this pass of (sd0) to (sd1).
Partitions:

Kingston 512Mb
/boot=>ext2
/=>ext3

copy grub to /boot/grub and exec grub
root (sd0,0) =>where is the boot partition en USB
setup (sd1) => then that change de sdx number to sd1.
quit
This is what OP has been trying to do withut success, since grub refused to do install to USB key since it can't find it as a disk to which you could install stage 1/1.5/2 and make it bootable.
And going to FreeBSD is not the solution, useable for all of us.

Also, it is not clear to me whether your is always at (sd0) even if you plug some SATA disks in your system and boot it and also if it goes for all other disks also.

Be it as it may, on linux at least for traditional /dev/sdX links it doesn't work, but it should work for addressing the drive through /dev/disk/by-uuid or /dev/disk/by-path or /dev/disk/by-id.

Regards,

Branko

This mode I have not any problem.

Sorry by my english ;)

BYe.
Hernán López Pardo
http://otrodiaparaser.blogspot.com

"Yo soy argentino, por eso uso Ututo en mi PC."
www.ututo.org
"Cara no es la ciencia; cara es la ignorancia."
BERNARDO A. HOUSSAY - (1887-1971)

"No sigas mis pasos, no seas sombra de nadie; aprende de mis pasos y sigue tu
camino"
DANIEL O. FERREYRA - (1967-2???)