"Martin Herrman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted
below, on  Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:05:36 +0100:

> What has happened? What to do next?

Most of those errors seem to be portage itself choking.  I just did an
update here and had a python remerge due to new USE flag (2.5.2-r8, I'm
on ~amd64).  If you had a python update or remerge too, that could be
it.  Check and see if your python has the expat use flag and whether it's
on or not.  If you do and it's off, that /may/ be the problem, as I left
mine on.

Whether it's python or portage (I suspect one of the two, if it was glibc
you'd almost certainly have far bigger problems), you'll likely not be
able to remerge a good package to fix it, since portage keeps crashing.
If you've been using FEATURES=buildpkg, you should be able to untar an
older package version over top of your system, using basically the below
procedure but using your own package rather than the tarball from the
URL.  If not, then use the tarball from the URL listed in the following
document:

Manually fixing broken portage installations
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml

That's for portage itself.  If that's not it, try python.  If you've been
using FEATURES=buildpkg you should have an older package to use.  If not,
the bash part of portage should at least work, so you should be able to
use ebuild.sh to step-by-step thru emerging python, or you can download a
stage tarball, unpack it somewhere, chroot into it, quickpkg python, then
untar that package over your main system using a procedure like that for
portage, above.