On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Most of those errors seem to be portage itself choking.  I just did an
> update here and had a python remerge due to new USE flag (2.5.2-r8, I'm
> on ~amd64).  If you had a python update or remerge too, that could be
> it.  Check and see if your python has the expat use flag and whether it's
> on or not.  If you do and it's off, that /may/ be the problem, as I left
> mine on.
>
> Whether it's python or portage (I suspect one of the two, if it was glibc
> you'd almost certainly have far bigger problems), you'll likely not be
> able to remerge a good package to fix it, since portage keeps crashing.
> If you've been using FEATURES=buildpkg, you should be able to untar an
> older package version over top of your system, using basically the below
> procedure but using your own package rather than the tarball from the
> URL.  If not, then use the tarball from the URL listed in the following
> document:
>
> Manually fixing broken portage installations
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
>
> That's for portage itself.  If that's not it, try python.  If you've been
> using FEATURES=buildpkg you should have an older package to use.  If not,
> the bash part of portage should at least work, so you should be able to
> use ebuild.sh to step-by-step thru emerging python, or you can download a
> stage tarball, unpack it somewhere, chroot into it, quickpkg python, then
> untar that package over your main system using a procedure like that for
> portage, above.

Hi Duncan,

thanks a lot for this reply!

Of course (using Gentoo now for a month or so), I don't have buildpkg
in my config. So I used the manual on the URL you provided. It says
that one should emerge portage first to get a correct system first.
But when I do that, I get an error:

martindesktop ~ # emerge portage
Calculating dependencies... done!

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5
 * portage-2.1.4.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...

                                                        [ ok ]
 * portage-2.1.4.5.patch.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...

                                                        [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...

                                                        [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...

                                                        [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...

                                                        [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking portage-2.1.4.tar.bz2 to
>>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5/work
>>> Unpacking portage-2.1.4.5.patch.bz2 to
>>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5/work
 * Applying portage-2.1.4.5.patch ...

                                                         [ ok ]
 * Setting portage.VERSION to 2.1.4.5 ...

                                                         [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in
>>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5/work/portage-2.1.4 ...
>>> Source compiled.
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5

>>> Install portage-2.1.4.5 into
>>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5/image/ category sys-apps
patching file make.conf
>>> Completed installing portage-2.1.4.5 into
>>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5/image/

strip: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-strip --strip-unneeded -R .comment
   usr/lib64/portage/bin/tbz2tool
ecompressdir: bzip2 -9 /usr/share/man

>>> Installing sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5
 * If you have an overlay then you should remove **/files/digest-* files
 * (Manifest1) because they are no longer supported. If earlier versions
 * of portage will be used to generate manifests for your overlay then you
 * should add a file named manifest1_obsolete to the root of the repository
 * in order to disable generation of the Manifest1 digest files.
 *
 * For help with using portage please consult the Gentoo Handbook
 * at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3
 *
!!! can't process invalid log file:
/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.5/temp/logging/postinst.LOG
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
martindesktop ~ #

Next, the same issues appear again. So I follow the manual again and
instead of 'emerge portage' I first emerged glibc and next python.
Both went well. Next I did a full upgrade:

- emerge --syn
- emerge --update --deep --newuse world
- find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
- emerge --depclean
- revdep-rebuild

which also went well. Next I emerged portage again.. problem is back again..

martindesktop portage # emerge ktorrent
Calculating dependencies \Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 6979, in <module>
    retval = emerge_main()
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 6973, in emerge_main
    myopts, myaction, myfiles, spinner)
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 6240, in action_build
    retval, favorites = mydepgraph.select_files(myfiles)
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2120, in select_files
    if not self.validate_blockers():
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2571, in validate_blockers
    blocker_cache.flush()
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 1335, in flush
    cPickle.dump(self._cache_data, f, -1)
cPickle.PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'method-wrapper'>: attribute
lookup __builtin__.method-wrapper failed

is this a portage issue? Or is there something wrong it depends on?

Thanks in advance!

Martin