Bob Sanders <rsand...@sgi.com> posted 20090127160758.ga44...@sgi.com,
excerpted below, on  Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:07:58 -0800:

> Actually while this is the problem, it's exaggerated by the fact that
> the typical install (non-Gentoo) doesn't use a seperate boot partition.
> In the normal, commerical setting, /boot resides as part of /.  Thus
> /boot is always mounted.  And as you point out with a system crash it's
> possible that the journal will need to be replayed before a system boot
> can happen.

Actually, I had meant to mention that but forgot.  Thanks for the catch!
=:^)  You're quite right, without a dedicated /boot partition it'd be
on /, which of course tends to be mounted while the system is
operational. =:^)

Possibly countering that would be the fact that (for servers anyway,
perhaps somewhat less so for desktops/laptops) it's probably more common
for non-Gentoo systems to have their / mounted r/o under normal
operation, since few distributions use the "rolling updates" idea that's
part of the appeal of Gentoo for many of us, but that makes keeping /
mounted r/o rather a hassle.

And a filesystem mounted r/o at the time of a crash shouldn't have any
journal playback to worry about.