Duncan wrote:
But... while I have kde-4.2 merged now, I've not yet played with it (I'm hoping to start this weekend, hopefully later today). As customized as I have my 3.x setup, I expect it'll take some time to get 4.x to anything like the same usability, so I expect I'll keep kde3 installed for some time yet, very possibly until 4.3 which I think is another six months out.

I also was waiting for a "better" version when KDE 4.0 came out and was sticking to KDE 3. Then KDE 4.1 came out but I still preferred 3. Two days ago I tried KDE 4.2.0 and it seems that this is the version that can replace KDE 3 for me. So far, I didn't login to KDE 3 again after I had 4.2.0 running. The only feature I'm missing from KDE 3 is sticky keyboard layout switching and HAL mount options. I also didn't have a single crash/segfault (yet) in KDE 4.2.0. Plasma and KWin used to crashed like hell in 4.1.4. It's very stable on my machine; running straight for about 20 hours now. So far, it looks good. Make sure you have upgraded to x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2-r2 though and then rebuild kdelibs and plasma-workspace (to make sure)! It fixes crashes that occur with 4.4.2-r1.