Thanks for your answer!

>Last time I checked, ext2 didn't work with Truecrypt on Windows due to
>a bug. If you use another solution (or the problem is fixed), I'd
>recommend ext3 or ext4 without extents (so it can still be mounted as
>ext2 by the Windows driver).
>I would use NTFS. I dislike using non-journalling filesystems like FAT
>or ext2 on such big disks. However, using the fuse implementation
>under Linux causes a rather high CPU utilization. Together with the
>encryption it could slow down less beefy systems.

Fat is really out of the question, I just listed it for completeness.
Regarding NTFS, the performance overhead was exactly the reason I was
thinking of rather sticking to a ext based filesystem.
I've considered only writing to the disk from within a
linux-environment and only mounting it readonly (as ext2) from within
windows, but as you mentioned, using a non-journalling fileystem is an
obvious risk. However, does this still apply when its in readonly-mode?

>Well, saving all data on a single disk is always risky.

Quite true, I wouldn't keep the data there forever without eventually
backing the stuff up. Its just I want to 'store away' things that have
no reason for just 'being' on my normal hdd in a secure manner & be
able to transport them, if I have to.

Tom