On Monday 16 March 2009 23:11:52 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
<snip>
> Make sure you're in the "usb" and "plugdev" groups.  Add yourself to
> them, logout and then login again.

I am in the plugdev and usb groups, I'm sure this will turn out to be
something silly that I have done or not done.#
When I switch on the external HD, I am asked if I want to open in a new window
or do nothing. If I select open I then get an immediate error message. After a
lot more reading I have solved my problem.  I created a udev rule, so now
when I click open, I am presented with a window that I can write files to as
a user. phew!!!
Again thanks to all who helped.
Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux