Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
> Martin, thank you for the fast reply. I just tried recompiling the
> drivers under x11-driver/* but still no luck.
>

> On Sun Apr 12,2009 09:55 am, Martin Herrman wrote:
>
>>    On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Mansour Al Akeel
>>    <[1]mansour.alak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>      Hello all:
>>
>>    Hi,
>>
>>      today I did "emerge --update --newuse --deep world" in order to get
>>      the latest. However, I had to fight a bit to get x11 working, but
>>      after many attempts the mouse pad scrolling is still not working. I
>>      have xf86-input-synaptics-1.0.0 ,  I am not using hal, and I would
>>      like not to. On the other hand, when I do
>>      mans...@localhost ~ $ syndaemon
>>      Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
>>      I don't understand why it reports that SHMConfig is disabled ! it's
>>      enabled in my xorg.conf . Here's my xorg.conf .
>>
>>    I had some problems after the upgrade as well, but eventually noticed
>>    that you have to rebuild the input-devices. So maybe 'emerge
>>    xf86-input-synaptics-1.0.0' might solve this.
>>
>>      Section "ServerLayout"
>>            Identifier     "X.org Configured"
>>            Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>>            InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>>            InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"  "CorePointer"
>>            InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>>      EndSection
>>      Section "Files"
>>            ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>>            FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
>>            FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
>>            FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
>>            FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
>>            FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
>>            FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
>>      EndSection
>>      Section "Module"
>>            Load  "extmod"
>>            Load  "record"
>>            Load  "dbe"
>>            Load  "xtrap"
>>            Load  "dri"
>>            Load  "glx"
>>            Load  "wfb"
>>      EndSection
>>
>>    You can remove (or comment) the module lines, Xorg will load them
>>    automatically.
>>    HTH,
>>    Martin
>>
>>      Section "InputDevice"
>>            Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>>            Driver      "kbd"
>>      EndSection
>>      Section "InputDevice"
>>            Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>            Driver      "mouse"
>>            Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>>            Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>            Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
>>      EndSection
>>      Section "InputDevice"
>>        Identifier     "Synaptics Touchpad"
>>        Driver         "synaptics"
>>        Option         "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>>       Option         "Device" "/dev/input/eventX"
>>        Option         "SHMConfig" "True"
>>        Option      "SendCoreEvents" "True"
>>      EndSection
>>      Section "Monitor"
>>            Identifier   "Monitor0"
> [...]
I had a similar issue when I upgraded xorg last where my synaptic touch
pad completely stopped working. I later found it was because I had
previously been using evdev rather than the actual synaptics driver.
I've included my currently working synaptics section of my xorg.conf,
maybe it'll work for you. Be warned, you may have to tweak the scroll
speed, I've mine set to something most call insane. Also, I'm using the
xf86-input-synaptics-1.0.0 driver.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics"
        Driver  "synaptics"