Dieter:
Thank you, that did the trick.
I added options to keep the same feel of the old one.
Here's my config section for the synaptics in Xorg.conf, in case someone
else has the same problem:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"  "AlwaysCore"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
EndSection
Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver         "synaptics"
        Option         "Protocol" "event"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
        Option  "SendCoreEvents" "True"
        Option           "SHMConfig" "true"
        Option  "VertEdgeScroll"        "true"
        Option  "TapButton1"    "1"