On 06/12/2009 07:58 PM, Beso wrote:
finally, 4.3 will mark the removal of my old 3.5 installation. i think
that for about 90% of people will be finally able to switch entirely to
kde4. The apps are now mostly complete and the 3.5 apps that are still
maintained have now been ported; plasma is ok and quite customizable,
the backends are working well, with the exception of pulseaudio that is
now having some problems with the phonon backend when used in conjuction
with flash and old apps that lock directly the physical card, but i
suspect that this is due to some configuration issue.

If you don't need networked sound, you can uninstall pulseaudio and alsa and use oss4 (there's an ebuild). I did that and old programs who want exclusive access to /dev/dsp work OK without locking the sound. KDE 4 works fine with using Xine backend. This will need putting "-alsa oss" in make.conf though and a rebuild of all packages that use those flags.