On 06/12/2009 10:52 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Freitag 12 Juni 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 06/12/2009 09:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
[...]
nothing with none exception. I had to set up dmix a long time ago, then
it worked automagically.. but blocking apps? nope.
Without dmix everything blocks.  After I've set it up, I was still
ending up with applications going silent while some other sound was
playing;

except that you don't have to set up dmix for years. It works out of the box.

Well, I remember it differently. I had to configure it and it kept breaking.

  I once even got a system lock-up
caused by ATI's fglrx driver but OSS4 had the music still playing even
though the whole system had gone to nirvana.

that is not unique to oss...

ALSA skipped sound a lot. I don't consider hearing music while the system is gone a "feature", just an indication that it will never skip, no matter how hard you try.

Another factor for me (but I guess most others aren't affected) is that
I like the OSS API much better.  I wrote a minimal wav player in 10
minutes.  Have you ever looked at the ALSA API?  Don't :P  It's a piece
of crap.  There are literally thousands of functions, all doing the same
thing but still not quite right...  Also, OSS is standard across
different Unix-like systems, while ALSA is Linux-only.  All this (and
especially the easy to code for OSS API) results in OSS support in
applications to work quite better (Wine, for example).

wine is a broken POS - so not really a good example.

My point was that since OSS is easier to support than ALSA, there are less problems to be expected.

And, ALSA is not portable. It's tied to Linux. I like to support more open systems.

So to sum it up, OSS looks like the better system to me.  I never had
problems with it and therefore I always recommend it.

and I had a lot of problems with it, felt ripped of and never recommend it.

I doubt it you ever used it.

IMHO sound daemons are inherently broken. A stupid bandaid to fix a stupid
problem.

On that one, we agree.