On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I believe it all depends on the profile you're using. If you're using
>>> a desktop profile maybe that's why it's calling in GUI toolkits and
>>> stuff...
>>>

>> Thanks Paul. I hadn't thought of that and I think you're correct. I
>> played a bit with changing profiles and then looking at what emerge
>> -epv @system would or would not do. It's clearly related.
>>
>> In the end I wonder if this is a lost cause? If the packages I run
>> really require these flags then they are all going to get built the
>> same way. I'd prefer that @system was simple and that @world showed
>> how I had changed the system to meet my needs, but I'm not sure it's
>> worth the effort at this point to get there.
>
> Looking in the current desktop profile, it shows this:
>
> USE="a52 aac acpi alsa branding cairo cdr dbus dts dvd dvdr eds emboss
> encode evo fam firefox flac gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal jpeg kde
> ldap libnotify mad mikmod mng mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pdf png ppds
> qt3support qt4 quicktime sdl spell svg thunar tiff truetype vorbis
> win32codecs unicode usb X x264 xml xulrunner xv xvid"
>
> So support for things like gnome, gtk, kde and qt4 are there by
> default. I guess you could take the above list, put a - in front of
> the ones you don't think you want and put it in make.conf and see what
> happens. :)

Yeah, that's interesting and to some extent anyway probably involved
with why I'm getting a lot of the package I get. What I'm not
understanding yet is what packages themselves are in @system. Where do
those come from? I'm assuming that because of all these flags some
system packages then require more and more support packages as an
avalance, but I'm not understanding what list of packages gets the
whole things started.

@world is /var/lib/portage/world.

@system is ?

Thanks,