On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I also purchased two Enterprise Edition drives - the 500GB size. They
> are also spec'ed at 300K
>
> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=489
>
> My intention was to use them in a RAID0 and then back them up daily to
> RAID1 for more safety. However I'm starting to think this TLER feature
> may well be part of this problem. I don't want to start using them
> however until I understand this 30/minute issue. No reason to wear
> everything out!
>
> <SNIP>

Duncan,
   Just a quick follow-up. I tested the WD Green drives for the last
36 hours in Spinrite and found no problems. I think the drives are OK.

   I then took the two 500GB Raid Enterprise drives above and made a
new RAID1 on which I did a quick Gentoo install. This uses the same
SATA controller, same cables and same drivers as I was using earlier
with the Green drives. While doing the install I saw no problems or
delays on them. Now I've got a new RAID1 install but cannot get it to
boot as grub doesn't seem to automatically assemble the RAID1 device.
I'm moderately confident that once I figure out how to get grub to
understand / is on RAID1 then I may be in good shape.

   Thanks for your help,

Cheers,
Mark