On Monday 17 January 2005 20:32, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
> One of our users timed ./configure last night, and it was in the
> neighborhood of 5 minutes if I remember correctly.  So, unless the kde
> tarballs are split up into tiny chunks for each program, we're looking
> at 10 or more minutes of unpack+configure for each ebuild.
The problem here is that even if we generate a custom, minimal configure
script for every package, it won't help much. The parts common to all
configure scripts take up at least two thirds of their size and run time.
Only a good confcache implementation or a complete replacement of automake
can solve this issue.

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)