On Monday 17 January 2005 20:32, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> I think this discussion is getting rediculous.  A few points about the
> basic discussion which is starting here:
>
> 1a.  Splitting the CVS modules is the way to ship KDE packages recommended
> by the upstream devs.
>
> 1b.  Gentoo is the only (big) Distro I know which doesn't do so.
>
> 1c.  Each time I talk with a KDE dev about that topic the reaction is
> "What, Gentoo *still* doesn't ship split packages?"
IMHO that's irrelevant. It doesn't affect the support we get from upstream
(since we don't use some features they provide, not the other way around) and
we need to weigh this new feature on its own merits, regardless of what other
distros do. Heck, those other distros mostly provide binary packages - that
makes a lot of things easier for them ;-)

> 2.  Splitting KDE puts you in the same boat as GNOME.  So KDE should
> handled the same way GNOME is (whichever way that is).
Unfortunately, gnome's written in C and KDE in C++, and so there's a wide gulf
of compilation time between them...

> 3.  If decompressing and compiling^Wconfiguring is really that slow on
> other arches, maybe the KDE maintainer could put still keep some monolithic
> ebuilds (maybe package.mask'ed) in the tree for your testing pleasure. That
> shouldn't be much work for them but won't make (1) go away either.
Easy for you to say. We have to keep track of merging any change into both the
monolithic and the split package, and testing both sets. It's not trivial,
and we're going to do everything we can to improve the split ebuilds to the
point where everyone agrees to use them and we can ditch the monolithic ones.

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)