this has nothing to do with "you do not agree with me, you are unprofessional"

what is unprofessional is that we acknowledge that poor QA can lead to breakage that is hard to resolve if one is not a dev with access to all previous versions.

i think it is unprofessional to acknowledge that it can happen and to reply "then they file a bug" when it could be avoided before hand

it is not much more professional (albeit helpful on the technical side) to make a suggestion and right out say "but i will not do it" which again shows no care for what happens to the users

wolf said proper QA would avoid what i outlined, and it would, but we are all humans, and noone is perfect, all i am after is a safety net

kind of like building a nuclear reactor with the rods pulled out from top, so in case of power loss they will sink into the core instead of allowing a tschernobil style meltdown (yes im saying we are building a core with rods pulled out from bottom, for analogy sake)

it was not my intention to say this is how it is done, my intention was to talk about versioned eclasses, while i only achieved to have people pick on an example, if anything, this thread was helpful to choose topic and initial post more wisely in the future

it should allow me to avoid misunderstandings and keep it closer to the issue, it will be asking for input on how it could be achieved, rather than sounding like i had a soultion i wish to push

and my summarizing came from the thread overall sounding like noone cares that it can happen, and that something should be done to minimize the risk, that i find unprofessional, to toy with a users system, cause an eclass that can be used across many archs is not tested first, but shoved into the tree instead, and please correct me if i am wrong, stable gcc-3.3.5-r1 inherits toolchain.eclass too, now if it is supposed (lets pretend for example sake) to be that it works entirely independent on gcc-3.3 than on gcc-3.4 i could still respond, that nothing was supposed to change for gcc-3.4, so how do we know it didnt affect gcc-3.3.5 too? then we are facing an eclass change affecting ~arch and arch users, which in my eyes is not professional

im not needing people to agree with me to find them professional, i just would like to see people take their QA seriously, which is what this in the end boils down to