On Wednesday 19 January 2005 23:47, Alexander Mieland wrote:

> if I understand the policies and some devs correctly, this would also
> be not good, to make this all in the basc-ebuild. Or am I wrong?

It creates valuable config data for basc. So this is certainly not against
policy.

> And btw, I don't want to install this reference-package then (bash in
> this case). It only should be a benchmark to get an accourate
> compiletime which depends on the power of the used machine.

Make sure that the "make install" part does not use "DESTDIR=${D}", but
some other DESTDIR such as "DESTDIR=${WORKDIR}/tmp" (which you need to
create). You can use the date function to time the start an end, and you
get how long it takes to compile bash (or whatever).

> what speaks against it to let the client do this by himself? Perhaps
> in /var/tmp, /var/cache or in /usr/share...?

Nothing, that is possible too, but you don't get portage's downloading
code for free then.

> Another question:
> What's about 64bit machines or sparc, mips, ppc's, ...?
> Would bash compile on these arches without problems or is there a
> special version of bash needed?

You could check the bash ebuild, but as portage needs bash, gentoo can not
run on a non-bash architecture. The patches in the bash ebuild do not
seem to be arch specific. In any case it is just a benchmark, so as long
as things compile you don't need to patch bash.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer