On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 19:15 -0800, Brian Beattie wrote:
> > No. I have a driver's license, that's it. No school ID, work ID, credit
> > cards, passport, or even a library card 8)
> >
> > I suspect I can't be the only one. When you consider that and the fact
> > that we have devs in pretty isolated areas, I suspect building a web of
> > trust will be quite a challenge.
>
> What does the government have to do with the web of trust.  If I
> "beattie at beattie dash home dot net" produce good work, what more do
> you need to know, than that I and the same "beattie at beattie dash home
> dot net" who built the wiz-bag foo-bar.

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but that doesn't establish who you are,
only what you, or someone using your email address, has done.  Your
identity is a big part in establishing trust.  If I don't even know your
name, how exactly am I to trust you to be who you say you are.  Remember
that PGP is about verifying the identity of the person, not of their
work.  The government does some half-way decent checking into who you
are, by requiring certain paperwork, for you to get identification.
That makes the government a decent choice in a place to put faith into
their identification papers.  The same can be said for schools (public
or private, so not necessarily government) or places of employment.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager