From: Grant Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:37:03 -0600
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: glep 27 thoughts

I've been thinking a bit about how to make uid/gid handling work w/o
needing xml.  It seems like it ought to be simple enough to replace
the xml files with simple plain-text files which look like the
following:

# cat groups/dovecot
gid = 97

# cat users/dovecot
uid = 97
shell = /bin/false
home = /dev/null
groups = dovecot, foo, bar
gecos = Added by portage for dovecot # (normally autogenerated)

Essentially, these files would just contain the same information as what
one would use w/ groupadd and useradd, but w/ more readable syntax.

I'm also thinking that instead of putting these files in
portage/profiles/accounts, perhaps we should permit an "accounts"
directory in each stage of a cascading profile, thus moving the platform
logic (linux vs hurd vs *bsd vs whatever) from the user and group files
(which, in the original glep, would list info for all supported
platforms) to the cascading profiles (default-linux, default-bsd/fbsd,
etcetera).

Any of this make sense?

-g2boojum-
--