On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:13:24 +0200 "Diego \"Flameeyes\" Pettenò"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Tuesday 29 March 2005 18:56, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| > This isn't like find or tar or similar, where switching GNU syntax
| > to POSIX is pretty trivial. There are a *lot* of extensions in GNU
| > sed, and we use them.
| I haven't saw so much of these extension in the ebuilds themselves..
| Probably is needed for many other scripts, but still using the
| standard posix  syntax when gnu's one is not needed could be helpful.

*shrug* I looked into this back when the issue first arose with the
ppc-macos port. I and several others worked out that it'd be a heck of a
lot of effort for virtually no gain on the sed issue (this isn't the
case for most other core apps) -- after all, isn't the point of
Gentoo/blah to replace a lot of the lame blah-provided tools with
something better?

| Also iirc bsdish sed has its own extensions.. if they are compatible
| could be  used.

Well, see... If these extensions are sufficient to cover everything in
the tree and everything that is ever likely to be in the tree, then
there isn't a problem. I strongly suspect that this won't be the case.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm