On Friday 20 May 2005 16:51, Brian Jackson wrote:

> Get every dev access to all the supported arches (some of this could
> probably be done with emulators of some sort, qemu or somesuch). Make them
> test on every arch before they change any keywords.

It's a nice idea (I know I recently opened "negotiations" up with the mips
team for access so I could close some of my open bugs against them), but the
two problems I can see with this are: remote access tends to mean you can't
test any X related properly (shoot, I have a sparc sitting next to me
headless, but being headless I never broach the gui related sparc stuff), and
ultimately, that kind of open ended freedom will still result in people
marking things ~arch and arch that they shouldn't be - maybe they rushed and
just made sure it installed, not really worked, or they figure they can
always go back later if they see any bugs.

Man, when did I become the dour note?

--
Michael Cummings   |    #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl