Robin H. Johnson wrote:[Tue Jun 07 2005, 03:04:43PM EDT]
> OpenSSL mainly uses perl to generate the assembly language versions
> of it's commands, in an almost portable fashion. There are also
> a few other scripts written in perl, but again, they don't use any
> modules from my examination.

This isn't always an option...  but how hard would it be to rewrite
that stuff in awk or sed?

I did something similar in mozconfig.eclass.  There is a long /bin/csh
script that is part of the mozilla build process.  It used to create
a dependecy from mozilla on csh...  I replaced it with this:

    # Simulate the silly csh makemake script
    makemake() {
        typeset m topdir
        for m in $(find . -name Makefile.in); do
            topdir=$(echo "$m" | sed -r 's:[^/]+:..:g')
            sed -e "s:@srcdir@:.:g" -e "s:@top_srcdir@:${topdir}:g" \
                < ${m} > ${m%.in} || die "sed ${m} failed"
        done
    }

Regards,
Aron