Jim Northrup wrote:
| Joshua Baergen wrote:
|

|>>2)  There are gentoo.org references to #gentoo-dev, but the process of
|>>interfacing, mentoring, and recruiting are self-referential beginning
|>>with a bootstrap of being on the good side of an existing developer.  So
|>>for those of us who do not establish favorable dialogues by filing a
|>>bug, the door starts out closed.
|>>

|>In reference to the difficulties outlined regarding becoming a
|>developer above, I am in the process of becoming a dev without any
|>contact with developers beforehand except for filing a bug that
|>probably annoyed devs more than helped :P  I contacted the recruiting
|>group in response to a requirement for developers and they were glad
|>to get the process started provided that I showed evidence that I
|>would be an asset, mainly through input on bugs currently open.
|>
|>I doubt that I am the only one who has this story, but that doesn't
|>mean your claim in #2 could not have happened to other people.  Did
|>you have any specific situations you were referring to when you wrote
|>that?
|>

| I was up late on a friday evening hacking up a nifty addition to my
| system and in my excitement and exuberance jumped on IRC to the dev
| channel to get pointers to the best "official" references to ebuild
| crafting and submission.
|
| As it was absolutely silent, I waited a few minutes and requested voice
| from the first notice of motion i saw in the channel.. "re", or some
| similar indication of important offical business commencing.  I was
| informed that the bottom line was voice was only granted to developers,
| period, end of story, no exceptions, and I was obviously misinformed and
| should be elsewhere.  Instead of anything like assistance I wound up
| being told
| 1) (condescension) it was people like me who try to skirt the gentoo
| process which are actually the problem even if we think it's contributing,
| 2)these important people in this channel are only here so that they can
| occasionally ping each other and see thier nickname had been highlighted.
| 3) that under no circumstance was I going to get an audience in
| #gentoo-dev, now or in future context, because it was for developers,
| and regardless of 20 years coding experience or working on linux since
| 0.99, I was not a developer
| 4) I could feel free to file a bug if I thought there was an issue, or
| talk to a recruiter about something to help out with.

First, let me say i am sorry you had this experience, i freuqntly voice
people in #gentoo-dev if they seem to have the need to speak there, the
reasons could be many, maybe someone uses icewm and finds it way
outdated, and helps the maintainer by testing for him, being a quasi
maintainer a while dow the road and eventually becoming a gentoo dev
(might i add <imho>i would say we have more maintainers than
developers</imho>?) and taking care of icewm completely then and making
it a habit to apply the many gcc 3.4 patches who have been submitted to
bugzilla, and lay dead and dusty there for no dev to be touched (ok so
now it would be gcc4.0 but that dev might have brought on a guy who
takes care of those by now

ok enough stories about how use having +v in #gentoo-dev is possible, is
normal, and can lead to things

| my reply was that I enter #gentoo-dev, and request voice when it seems
| helpful and important, without incident in all previous occasions
| the response was that these developers were obviously in error and it
| was irrelevant to the discussion.
|
| I said I'm willing to take my chances as being perceived as noise.
| the response was an unceremonious kick.
|
| This developer was possessed with zeal and determination. to be sure.
|
| Anyways, it happened, it's over.  the order and exact words may have
| been different but the tone and the impression stuck.   I spent the due
| dillegence perfecting my system hack, but I did not succeed in making it
| available, or finding a likely benefactor project for voip qos
| settings.  This was beneath the involvment of #gentoo-dev at the time i
| made the approach.  I spent several hours researching volumes of gentoo
| info alternating between the recruitment process and the ebuild process,
| on a busy weekend i had planned to spend apart from a console.
|
| so.. as an aside, is there a package with an interest in iptable
| configuration for broadband voip qos configs?
what i really replied for is to ask, if i can forward your email to a
friend of mine who happens to be involved with telephony with his
company, i know zero about that, i do know he does use VoIP, so maybe he
finds your hack nifty

| Jim

hope you better luck next time in #gentoo-dev

Daniel