On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 13:50 -0300, Rafael Espíndola wrote:
> I am using Gentoo to build some small systems. While things like the
> minimal useflag is a joy, the monolithic nature of most gentoo
> packages is a headache.
It depends on your point of view.
Having to install 142 -devel packages just to be able to compile $foo is
quite frustrating - I prefer the Gentoo way.

> Kde has been spit and libstdc++ can be installed without gcc but there
> are many other packages that don't have this feature. For example,
> installing qt also installs qt designer.
I don't know if there is a demand for this, but if you really need to
shrink stuff, create your own ebuild overlay with "fixed" ebuilds ...
> Has someone worked on changing ebuild so that it could create many
> binary packages from one source? Something similar to debian's
> dpkg-buildpackage. For example, it would be wonderful to be able to do
>
> ebuild qt-something.ebuild split-package
I haven't heard of anyone trying this, and as far as I can remember it has
usually been shot down as a bad idea.
> and have in /usr/portage/packages a package for qt-designer and a
> package for the rest of the library.
>
> Is this a bad idea or simply not the Gentoo way?
Well ... it gets you all kinds of problems because if you split packages
(e.g. X --> X + X-headers) and you want to compile something you'll pull
in the second package anyway. So for most packages I think it's not
really useful.

wkr,
Patrick
--
Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move