Em Thu 16 Jun 2005 14:05, Patrick Lauer escreveu:
> It depends on your point of view.
> Having to install 142 -devel packages just to be able to compile $foo is
> quite frustrating - I prefer the Gentoo way.
I agree. I think that by default emerge <package> should install everything
from <package>. My idea is to teach ebuild how to split binary packages but
install all of then by default. For example, emerge gcc would install all
parts of gcc that are selected by the use flags (gcc proper, g++, libgcc,
etc). But now one could do "emerge -C g++".

> I don't know if there is a demand for this, but if you really need to
> shrink stuff, create your own ebuild overlay with "fixed" ebuilds ...
I do that right now. I was wondering if someone else would also be interested.

> Well ... it gets you all kinds of problems because if you split packages
> (e.g. X --> X + X-headers) and you want to compile something you'll pull
> in the second package anyway. So for most packages I think it's not
> really useful.
Qt is the package that made me think about the problem. Maybe some
client/server split in packages like ssh. X might also be a candidate, but I
think that in this case it is better to help xorg to do the split.

> wkr,
> Patrick

Rafael