On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 17:45 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> OK, I'm with you on the security thing (being one that would prefer a
> USE=clientonly flag, remember, tho I understand the reasons behind not
> doing it), but I DO know there's quite the occasional use for someplace to
> host scripts, patchlets, and sample config files for reference from
> forums/news/lists/irc, that I've personally found useful, that others
> would like to see as well.

Honestly, we need a *mirrored and distributed* location for such things.
It could easily be accessible from the shell box, but anything that
resides on /home on toucan can not be considered safe.  While the
infrastructure staff does their best to ensure the data there, it is
*our* responsibility to keep our own backups of everything there.

In fact, there is GLEP15, which deals with this, specifically.

> One particular example is my xorg.conf file, which I seem to get
> requests for from time to time, when I mention that I have xorg running
> xinerama on a dual-out Radeon 9200SE.  It seems many have trouble getting
> that to work, and an annotated working config can help tremendously.  I've
> been considering doing it up right and putting it on my web page.  Sure, I
> can put it on my ISP's page, but folks do change ISPs from time to time,
> and for forum mods that are already staff, having a "staffspace" available
> to make such things a bit more publicly available, could be /quite/ useful.

Again, toucan is *not* this place, as has been said many times by
infrastructure.  Anything on dev.gentoo.org should be considered
transitive, as it can disappear at any time.  A more permanent solution
to this should be done, rather than relying on something that we have
been told time and time again that we should *not* rely on.

This being said, I'm pretty guilty of this myself, with one minor
exception.  I keep my own backups.  :P

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager